By: Joy Schrock
Of all the blog posts that I write, compiling the list of home remedies is always the most fun.
The home remedies listed below were submitted by my friends that grew up Amish or have an Amish background. Home remedies are so much a part of our everyday lives in Amish country, that many of them struggled with this project. Their perception being that home remedies are a way of life for everyone. After several days of them focusing on the mission at hand, the home remedies started pouring in. It was difficult to choose only ten. Hopefully there is at least one home remedy on this list that you will find helpful.
1) To keep cookies fresh: Place a piece of bread with your cookies to keep them from drying out or to restore moisture to dried cookies.
2) Homemade Bird Food: 2 Cups Tallow/Suet or Lard (melted), 1 1/2 Cup creamy Peanut butter, 5-6 Cups of Yellow Corn Meal. Mix together, allow to cool until it reaches the right consistency to press into pine cones. Hang outside for the birds to enjoy. If mixture gets to hard to press into pine cones, stick in microwave container and heat for a few seconds to soften mixture.
3) Homemade Seasoning Salt: 1 Cup Salt, 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder, 1 Tablespoon Celery Salt, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 2 Teaspoons Paprika, 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder and 1 Teaspoon dried parsley powder. Mix and enjoy.
4) Chest Cold/Flu Symptoms: Prior to going to bed put a thick layer of Vicks Vapo Rub on the bottom of your feet, cover with socks. Vicks will absorb into your skin overnight. This is an Amish country favorite home remedy.
5) Kidney Stones: If you are having problems passing kidney stones, drink homemade beet juice. Boil fresh beets, allow to cool and drink.
6) Drooling Babies: The Amish swear by this. When your baby starts to drool, work with them to teach them how to drink out of a regular cup. This teaches the children how catch their saliva before they drool.
7) Seasonal Allergies: Find a local beekeeper (preferrably within 15 miles of your home). Purchase honey from local source. Take one teaspoon of honey each morning. I know several people that this has worked wonders for.
8) Fallen Arches/Plantar Fascitis: This was actually recommended to one of my friends by her doctor. It is to provide temporary relief of pain until special inserts for her shoes were made. Put a large strip of duct tape on the bottom of your foot from heel to toe. Place a second strip beside the first strip. The tape grabs your instep and gives relief from the pain. She said it was a bit embarassing to wear during the summer, however it was worth the embarassment.
9) Burns on skin when cooking: Immediately pour Pure Vanilla Extract directly on burn. Brings instant relief. Should not be considered an alternative for medical treatment…only to bring temporary relief from pain.
10) To get rid of those pesky gnats: Pour cider vinegar into a bowl. Cover bowl with film. Punch a hole into film. Gnats crawl in and can’t get out.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.